Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: 2006 Tool Survey Released - SecTools.Org

From: KarMax <karmax () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 23:48:16 +0000

On 6/21/06, Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org> wrote:
Yeah, I expected them to take a hit too.  But I guess the survey would
be pointless if we could predict everything.  Also, Nessus doesn't
have much open source vulnerability scanning competition right now.
I'd love to see that change in the next survey.

Mmmm maybe is just the right moment to develop a new tool (is a hole
to be full filled)

Speaking of SecTools.Org, has anyone submitted it to Slashdot?  I
specifically added mirror sites this morning to be sure the site could
handle a traffic flood, but my servers aren't even breaking a sweat
yet!  Also, it would help if people with Digg accounts Digg the story:

Well i post the story on /. before i read your answer. (i assumed that
you are expecting being slashdotted) If don't... be ready :)

Here it is (maybe it will be rejected still pending) It has a LOT of
links, but i don't include it here.

"2006 and the Nmap Network Security Tool survey is here again, Fyodor
the author of Nmap, runs this survey to know which security tools are
the most populars. This year there is a whole site for the results,
with category-specific pages, 100 tools, ranking information, and
more. Is an excellent place for both newbies who doesn't know where to
start and security experts.
From The Article: After the tremendously successful 2000 and 2003
security tools surveys, Insecure.Org is delighted to release this 2006
survey.
It is also interesting to see the rise of exploitation frameworks.
Metasploit, Impact, and Canvas all made the list for the first time.
Wireless tools such as Kismet and Aircrack (new) had a good showing,
while many vulnerability scanners dropped significantly in rank."

--
Gonzalo Martinez
Jabber: KarMax () jabber org