Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [Patch] Banner Grabbing Stdout and XML

From: Brandon Enright <bmenrigh () ucsd edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 05:19:09 +0000

On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 22:31 -0400, Joshua D. Abraham wrote:
Hey Guys,

I have attached a patch that adds banner grabbing functionality to Nmap.
  Basically, it is using the response of the version detection probe.
Therefore, to output to STDOUT the user needs to set 5 verbose flags and
for XML they need only one.

Currently, I have limited the size of the banner to limited to 128
characters.

If anyone has any comments that would be great.

Regards,
Joshua Abraham

P.S. I worked on these patches along with a friend of mine, named Gil.

You patch adds a <banner>sometext</banner> tag to the XML output.  All
other XML output does not use text but rather CDATA attributes.  You may
want to add banner="..." as an attribute to the service element instead.

Other than that, excellent addition; I'll find it very useful and will
probably ditch Amap.

Brandon

--
Brandon Enright