Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Comments on OS detection 2nd generation (soft fingerprinting)

From: "Joshua D. Abraham" <jabra () ccs neu edu>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 15:26:56 -0400

On 26.May.2006 05:51PM +0000, Brandon Enright wrote:

On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 13:32 -0400, Joshua D. Abraham wrote:

Joshua D. Abraham wrote:
Just another method which might be interesting to consider.

Sure, but banners are very easily forgeable.
right, but that would require the user to recompile ssh on the
system. I doubt many people would do this. Plus ubuntu is gaining
alot of users who really wouldn't care less if it was identified.

--Josh

There are many banners and port patterns that identify an OS if the user
hasn't actively modified anything.  Techniques that use banners and port
patterns are very useful when you trust the target is not trying to be
deceptive.

I'm sure most would agree that using a SSH banner to say a box is some
distro or tcp/3389 to say a box is something Windows has no place in
Nmap's second-gen OS FP engine.

What I would like to see though is a soft fingerprinting engine added.
When users used -O or -A they would get the standard or second-gen
engine which does not take into account any banners or ports
opened/closed.  If they used an option like '--soft-osfp' then Nmap
would turn on checks that while can often really fine-tune a
fingerprint, can also easily be forged.

I've accomplished something similar to this with a Perl wrapper around
Nmap.  The script is how we detect different patch levels (MS0X-0XX) of
windows within one version of of a release (XP, 2000, etc).

This is yet another reason why the user might want to actually be
able to see the banner which relates to my patch I sent to the
list recently.

Josh

Brandon

--