Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Generating Graphical Diagrams/Maps from Nmap output

From: Diman Todorov <diman () xover mud at>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 16:17:58 +0200

Once again, regardless of the purpose, this subject is less a question
of graphing than to have proper data structures. Most networks I work
with and which I scan are pretty easy in terms of their graph
structure.

May I point out that a graph is a data structure. It is also a data
structure
which is well suit for representation of computer networks.

Nils, if I am understanding you correctly you want to have edges
which represent sub nets. These edges would have the property
to provide a connection from any host in the sub net to any other
host in the sub net. In terms of graph theory this would be a hyper
graph. Hyper graphs are well researched by database theory people.
The main reason not to use hyper graphs for anything automated
is that many problems which can be solved in polynomial time
if your graph only has binary edges become NP hard if your edges
have more than 2 peers.

While it maybe good to allow users to manually insert hyper edges
generating them and lay-outing them automatically might impose
some serious problems.

To my knowledge there is only one oss effort to work with hypergraphs
http://hypergraph.sourceforge.net which imho doesn't look very
promising.

cheers
Diman