Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nexthost: failed to determine route to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

From: kx <kxmail () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:45:13 -0400

Thanks so much, I was hoping it wouldn't be this bad.

I think the culprit is in struct sys_route *getsysroutes(int
*howmany), in tcpip.cc

It first attempts to get the route information from /proc/net/route
and deal with aliases, and if that fails, it uses the dnet route
collector code.

I don't have a BSD box around to try this out, but it would be
interesting if you or someone else who could recreate the issue could
run "nmap --iflist" (which calls getsysroutes), and trace the code and
see which method is being used to fill in the route table and what is
going on, and why nmap is only getting the routes for you loopback
device (lo0).  If it is using the /proc/net/route method, you might
try forcing that to fail in code, and then see what happens when it
uses dnet.  If it is using dnet already, then dnet might need an
upgrade.

Cheers,
  kx