Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: summer of code - scriptable nmap idea

From: David Warde-Farley <david.warde.farley () utoronto ca>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 15:08:47 -0400

On 5-May-06, at 9:37 AM, Diman Todorov wrote:

Hi,
I am planning to submit a proposal to SoC to combine nmap and guile

I would extend scheme with functions for scanning a host.

you would then call nmap maybe like

nmap --script myscan.scm options hosts ports

Wow.

As a Scheme-head myself (I'd like to see it taught to every first
year Computer Science student) I think this would be pretty awesome.
And guile is nice and easy to embed. I wonder if you'll encounter
resistance among those unfamiliar with Scheme.

In your proposal I'd document your proposed functions thoroughly and
give them very descriptive names, and write a number of sample
scripts for real kinds of scans. Also try and indent your code really
well so that people aren't confused by the parentheses (everyone
always complains about the damned parentheses!).

- Dave