Nmap Development mailing list archives

summer of code - scriptable nmap idea

From: Diman Todorov <diman () xover htu tuwien ac at>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 15:37:55 +0200

Hi,
I am planning to submit a proposal to SoC to combine nmap and guile

I would extend scheme with functions for scanning a host.

you would then call nmap maybe like

nmap --script myscan.scm options hosts ports

where options are specific to myscan and hosts and ports
are just as they always used to be

a self made scan could look something like this:

(define (myscan hosts &options)
        (let ((result (some-scan
                                (opts '((option . value), (another-option . value)))
                                hosts
                                (ports '(1 2 3)))))
                (cond ((is-open-www (cdr (car result))) (do something)))))

depending on the scan type some-scan returns a list of the form
((host . state))

state is a list describing the state of the host
(host-state os ((port . port-state) (port . port-state)))

you could for example scan only one host in a subnet and if it is up
you can look at the subnet more closely

or you can look at only a single port on a host and if that port is open
scan other ports and/or hosts in the vicinity

or you could do just about anything which can be expressed in a
turing complete language

I would be grateful if you comment on the usefulness of this idea.

best regards
Diman Todorov