Nmap Development mailing list archives

Using nmap as an ISP troubleshooting tool?

From: Simon <simon.xhz () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 00:05:52 -0500

Hi there,
 I'm new to this list, I've used nmap for about 5 years.  I'm not an
expert, I'm just a techie guy working for an ISP.  Not sure if this is
the right mailing list, but I'm wondering about a specific usage of
nmap.

 One of the main problems we have to face is the identification of
the client's OS and to know if there is a firewall or not, and if
possible to know what kind of firewall.  The main problem arise when
the client himself doesn't know what's installed on the machine or
when there is a language barrier that slows our work (for example
somebody that doesn't speak english well).

 I figured it could be great to start nmap on the client's PC (with
his verbal agreement to this) so we can gather more information from
nmap.  I'm sure it could really help in many situations and even if it
takes a minute to gather all the information,  but we could trigger
nmap at the beggining of our call with the client.

 I was wondering what are the key aspects in using nmap from a call
center, on the internal security perspective and on the
business-to-client relationship.  What would be the key words to use
to convince our management to allow us to use such a tool (or to make
a simplified interface that does the hard job with nmap)?  Is there
anything in the law that prevents this kind of usage, probably company
policies would be a barrier too... but what else?

If you have any ideas, please send them in!

Thanks,
 Simon