Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Netbios host resolution NMAP 4.00

From: doug () hcsw org
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 12:02:16 -0800

Hi Jason,

That's a very interesting observation. The reverse DNS code is
definitley not designed to do netbios resolution. I downloaded the
3.45 sources and looked at how reverse DNS resolution was done then:
It uses the getnameinfo() call just as --system-dns does now so it's
fairly strange that it has stopped working for you.

This article:

http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/I-N/internet/network/article.php/c6239/

says the following:

Most of the code that I've come across to resolve the name of an IP address uses the gethostbyaddr API to accomplish
this task. gethostbyaddr may eventually resort to using NetBIOS (port 137) to come up with the name. According to MSDN,
gethostbyaddr is actually deprecated by the getnameinfo API. getnameinfo does a reverse lookup of an IP Address without
using NetBIOS.

I'm definitley not a windows expert but is it possible that the older
version of nmap linked to a different getnameinfo() - perhaps one that
was simply a wrapper for gethostbyaddr()? Apparently gethostbyaddr()
"may eventually resort to using NetBIOS" where getnameinfo() shouldn't.

Other than that, I don't know. I guess you would've mentioned if you'd
changed any other configuration settings?

Doug