Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Context error with --system_dns

From: "Kizlyk, John" <John.Kizlyk () CapitalOneAuto com>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 13:37:48 -0600

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 04:13:49PM -0000, Sean Swift wrote:
Found a problem with --system_dns setting.

When I tried to scan an IP address on my network with just NMAP
192.168.12.45 no parameters I got this error.

Starting Nmap 4.00 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap ) at 2006-02-01
15:52
GMT Standard Time
Unable to determine any DNS servers. Try using --system_dns or specify

valid servers with --dns_servers
QUITTING!

When trying to use the --system_dns as instructed by the above error
message it still did not work and gave me the following error

Thanks for the report. For the next version, the error message will
say --system-dns. And the old style --system_dns will work in that
version too. As to the reason DNS servers couldn't be detected, I
think Doug is looking into that.

Cheers,
-F

I get the same error on my WinXP sp2 boxes.  The registry entry for my
DNS servers looks like (regedit dump):

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\I
nterfaces\{27072BA0-8F6F-435E-82E7-7099ECA6902E}]
"NameServer"="172.16.1.2,172.16.1.3"

Thanks

John Kizlyk
Network Engineer