Nmap Development mailing list archives

ipv6 capabilities

From: Will Cladek <william.cladek () nrl navy mil>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 15:35:30 -0400

I have been working on setting up IPv6 nmap scans on the network where I work, as we now have IPv6
deployed.  It appears that in all versions of nmap, all ping scans are done with TCP connects and no
ICMPv6 requests.  This poses a problem, for instance, when trying to scan a firewall-enabled Windows
PC which is not known to be up, as the firewall drops port 80 packets, making nmap mistakenly think
it's down.  I've discovered one workaround to this specific instance is to add port 445 to the list
of ports done in the ping scan, but there are other instances where simply having the ICMPv6
capability would be the most useful.  Are there any plans to implement this feature in a future version?

Thanks,
Will Cladek