Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Strange Network Traffic using -sP flag in nmap 3.81

From: moo yana <james.mailing () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 16:32:31 +0100

On 10/16/05, R D Smith <smith1rd () gmail com> wrote:

I believe that is nmap doing it's TCP ping of the host. Try using
-P0, which tells nmap not to ping the host before scanning.

Jolly good, chalk that one up to stupidity on my part; it even says as much
in the manpage:

"By default,
 Nmap sends an ICMP echo request and a TCP ACK packet to port 80."

'Ping' is being used in a slightly odd context, though - very easy to make
assumptions about nmap's behaviour which aren't necessarily true!

Many thanks,

- James.