Nmap Development mailing list archives

I need the communities help........

From: "Joe Marinaccio" <marinaccio () charter net>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 22:19:07 -0500

To the community,

            I know this is more than likely uncommon for one to post, but
here we go.. My name is Joe Marinaccio, and I'm in my first year at
Vatterott. I'm working on a B.S. Degree in Network Engineering. I'm very
fascinated by Information Security, and countermeasures to prevent attacks
from within, as well as from the outside. I'm new to a lot of aspects posted
in your mailings, but I try to do my part in researching to understand
topics discussed. My question is, I would like to do an outside project
relating to security, simulating a real world situation, in the classroom.
At school, we are on a windows 2000 professional LAN. The students all have
"limited" account privileges. We use a virtual drive ran off the server,
along with our own local drive on our machine. Also, we share a local
printer. If need be, I can give further details of the network.

I would like to get input from the nmap community, maybe some insight, on
different ways I could compromise security, and gain root or admin rights.
That is my goal or "purpose". I plan to record each step I take along the
way, and also, list all resources and utilities I may have used to aid me.
Then to finish it off, I plan on making a report consisting of
countermeasures an admin could take to prevent this same form of attack.

I feel this would go very well in my personal portfolio, when presenting to
a potential employer. I'm not asking for someone to do the work for me,
rather, just to give me some insight. I'm willing to totally do my part, but
any help or advice would be greatly appreciated...

Thanking you in advance,

Joe Marinaccio