Nmap Development mailing list archives

FW: Re- Raw sockets, MS05-019 and Windows Firewall -- Summary

From: "Smith, Rick D." <RICKY.D.SMITH () saic com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 09:33:49 -0400

I'm not a programmer, but I think the host OS will have no effect on access
to raw sockets in the VMware guest OS.  Raw socket access will be determined
by the guest OS.  The only effect that a XP SP2 w/MS05-019 hotfix host OS
may have is on the VMware virtual network adapters.

How well this works in practice, I don't know completely. I've only tested
nmap 3.48 and 3.81, from an old RedHat 9 VM running in VMware 5.0 on XP SP2
with all security hotfixes.  I ran it against the host OS and it gave the
results I expected.  (I can't scan anything else right now since I'm on the
corporate network.)

HTH.
-- -- --
Rick Smith