Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap not working

From: MadHat <madhat () unspecific com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:27:03 -0600

On Mar 23, 2005, at 4:23 PM, seniorbango wrote:
Hi

I am having problems getting nmap to work on my pc
i am using Nmap 3.81 on windows xp home with service pack 2, i also
have WinPcap packet capture library version 3.1Beta4.
However when ever i try to scan a host i get the following statement:
Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes, try
-P0.

However i know for a fact that the host is up and alive.
I have allowed nmap through my firewall and still it comes up with
that statement, please help me get nmap to work.

Did you try doing what it says?  Running it with -P0?

If the host does not respond with anything to the default TCP port probe/ping, you will get that message. -P0 means not to ping at all before scanning. You can also try and specifying a different port to use or use an ICMP packet. There are many options.