Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: problem with nmap (please help)

From: Ron <iago () valhallalegends com>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 13:26:27 -0600

Have you tried doing EXACTLY what it says and using -P0?

Diet54 () aol com wrote:

i have this version of nmap (nmap-3.81-win32). im running windows xp and i just installed new beta of winpcap (WinPcap_3_1_beta4). when i try this command in nmap...

nmap -A -T4 scanme.insecure.org ----------------------------------------------------------- i get this message...

------------
Starting nmap 3.81 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap ) at 2005-03-13 06:47 Eastern
Standard Time
Note: Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes, try -P0

Nmap finished: 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 5.969 seconds
----------------

even if i try to ping (scanme.insecure.org) using the command below i still get host not found. but if i do a (ping scanme.insecure.org) i get a ping replys back. i dont know whats going on.
C:\nmap>nmap -sS scanme.insecure.org

Starting nmap 3.81 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap ) at 2005-03-13 06:50 Eastern
Standard Time
Note: Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes, try -P0

Nmap finished: 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 6.329 seconds

i can never get any verion of nmap or netcat to work on this computer. ive been trying for over a year. i emailed foundstone a few times asking for help with they 2 programs.. and they never got back to me. its pissin me off i want touse these programs. and when i set up my network i want to be able to use the programs. why do i keep getting host seems down.. its driving me crazy. is their something i have to do to get it to work.. install some patch or something.
PLEASE PLEASE try to help me
get back to me asap.. thanks

:)