Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: decoy scan: no decoy packages

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 01:15:27 +0100

Nils Magnus wrote:
Craig Humphrey wrote:
[..]
Is there anything between your scanning host and the target host?  E.g.
routers, firewalls, etc, which might filter out invalid/spoofed traffic.

Both hosts are directly connected to the internet, using a dsl and a analog modem resp., no routers etc.
On both machines the firewall was down (`iptables -F').

Could you give some more detailed information about that set-up? Have
both systems (target and source) official IP addresses? Are both part of
the same DSL provider? A lot DSP and cable modem providers do a lot of
nasty filtering of traffic they don't rate as appropriate from a leaf
node such as a DSL client.

Hmm, hard to say except:
- both systems have public/official IP addresses
- using different providers (target: dsl ; source: analog-dialup)

I think I'll run the same on a local network on the same segment.