Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Site Redesign

From: Stou Sandalski <stou.sandalski () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 18:05:35 -0700

On Mon, 17 May 2004 20:17:53 +0500, Max <nmap () webwizarddesign com> wrote:

Fyodor,

Another .01 .. I personally don't much care for the eye logo .. I would
rather just have a stylized insecure.org logo with no big eye above it :) ..

I agree with that, except i would like to see a 'stylized' (?) eye
logo not as complex as the current one, something simple that can be
rendered in 2 colors and still look cool (ala ATT, IBM, old-SGI or
cisco, etc.)  but i am on a vector graphics kick now so i duno.

your site has a lot of very useful information on it, and to me the extra
decorations just obscure the site content, which doesn't need to be
'gussied' up or made more enticing in my opinion.

Your core audience is technical people after all, yes?

I disagree with that, i am personaly tired of text only pages like
that of a lot of open source software. graphics and 'effects' on the
new site are not overdone and add a nice friendliness to it...

I apologize that I have nits without patches or mock up alternative
suggestions.

I also appologize, but i suck at UI/graphics/web front ends.

2) Any suggestings for improving the new html/css pages?  Tested diffs
   that implement your suggestions would be even better.

I say keep the fonts/colors/layout and get rid of the hover effects and extra
graphics!

I say change the colors, make the section bar/titles more contrasted
agains the text (so its easier to fast scroll through everything) and
simplify the eye logo.

3) Any problems rendering the new page on devices or browsers that
   handle the existing one?

Not for me!

me neither, but i'll try it on safari tomorow.

Your old design uses iframes as does the new one, so I can't throw in a
lame lynx-compatibility comment without seeming more dork-like and cave-rock
like than I probably sound already in this email.

i think lynx compatability is very important for a tool like nmap.

Stou