Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap 3.50 Oddity on FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE

From: MadHat <madhat () unspecific com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 22:19:00 -0600

On Mar 20, 2004, at 12:24 AM, eric wrote:
Thinking that I'd get around the following problem, I switched my
attack host from OpenBSD to FreeBSD. However, when using the
following attack method...

sudo nmap -sS -p '1-65535' -g 53 -oG foo.gnmap  -T 4 -iL foo.list

I get the following..

sendto in send_ip_raw: sendto(6, packet, 28, 0, 10.51.55.0, 16) =>
Can't assign requested address
Sleeping 15 seconds then retrying

OK, this may or may not be related to your issue, but I found it did help on my BSD scanning server. In sysctl, there is a setting for net.inet.icmp.icmplim, the value I had was a positive int around 200, not sure the default. If you set this to 0, this may help fix the issue.

If you have the log_in_vain enabled for TCP or ICMP, you might see messages in your syslog regarding bandwidth limitations (x/y pps). From the reading I have done, this should only effect incoming packets, but I seem to remember this was not the case. The number is the number of packets per second allowed and according to the docs is ICMP or TCP RST packets.

Because you are doing a SYN scan, and not a full connect scan, it is possible this could be an issue because the scanning host should try and send RST packets when it sees the SYN/ACK and you will also see ICMP port unreachable or admin prohibited when appropriate.

I doubt if it could cause the error you are seeing, but it might help in scanning.

I have gotten that error before but not on a regular basis and I can never seem to reproduce it when I want to.