Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap version capabilities description

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 11:43:17 -0700

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 02:44:40PM +0200, rufio wrote:
Hi everyone!

I have version 3.27 and I found that nmapfe allowes to choose FTP bounce
with another TCP scan and cause nmap to complain.

The most recent version of NmapFE (3.30) does not allow that.  There
have been a lot of NmapFE upgrades lately - you should upgrade.

But I want to discuss something more general:
I think it would be good for tools like nmapfe to have a file which
would describe capabilities of available nmap version
i.e. a file whih would say which options can(n't) be specified at the
same time
e.g. (the "can't" version)

-sS -sT -sA -sF -sM -sW -sX -b -sP
-sP -O
# and so on

So such nmap-using tool wouldn't have to change with allmost every nmap
version, it only read a new file.

That might be useful, althouth illegal option combinations don't
change with "almost every nmap version".  And if NmapFE somehow does
allow an illegal combination, Nmap will generally show an error
message explaining the problem.

Cheers,
-F