Nmap Development mailing list archives

10.1.1.1 up?

From: <jaye_gettes () hushmail com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 13:49:06 -0700

I'm truly confused.  this is an nmap from an externally facing RH Linux
box:

[root@katze jaye]# nmap -sS -O -P0 10.1.1.1

Starting nmap 3.27 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2003-05-27 23:47 EDT
Warning:  OS detection will be MUCH less reliable because we did not
find at least 1 open and 1 closed TCP port
All 1623 scanned ports on 10.1.1.1 are: filtered
Too many fingerprints match this host for me to give an accurate OS guess

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 1585.425 seconds

Yet, without the "no ping", I get the expected answer:

[root@katze jaye]# nmap -sS -O 10.1.1.1

Starting nmap 3.27 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2003-05-28 00:36 EDT
Note: Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes,
 try -P0
Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 12.319 seconds

Since 10.0.0.0/8 is not in BGP and is non-externally-routable address
space, what is cauing NMAP to tell me a box is up?

thanks in advance