Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: avoiding scan detection by Snort

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 10:06:19 -0700

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 09:52:22AM -0700, Steven Alexander wrote:

Does anyone think it would be useful to include a command line option for
Nmap to mimic the pings of different OSes supplied implementations? At best,
the pings wouldn't be detected by Snort(default install) and at worst they
would appear to be regular ping traffic from some OS(if the additional rule
file is enabled).

The --data_length option will defeat the default (0 length payload)
rule.   Also, you can of course omit the ping stage entirely (-P0) or
use the many non-ICMP types.

If we decide the current approach is not stealthy enough, I would
probably just mimic one particular ping program (e.g. Linux) rather
than provide options to emulate a bunch of systems.

Cheers,
-F