Nmap Development mailing list archives

nmap-3.00 and AIX 4.3.3

From: Terry Greenlee <1829ter () ivwnet com>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 16:09:57 -0700

I compiled the base nmap-3.00 release on my AIX 4.3.3
box. When I run it as my non-root user (Example 1) it
works fine. When I run it as root user (Example 2) it
fails. Let me know if anyone knows why.

Thanks,

Terry Greenlee
http://www.aixadm.org/

Example 1:
1829ter@rs43p:/home/1829ter
$ nmap aixadm.org

Starting nmap V. 3.00 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
Interesting ports on  (206.135.171.51):
(The 1598 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port       State       Service
22/tcp     open        ssh
25/tcp     open        smtp
80/tcp     open        http

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 11 seconds

Example 2:
root@rs43p:/root
# nmap aixadm.org

Starting nmap V. 3.00 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
pcap_open_live: /dev/en0: No such file or directory
There are several possible reasons for this, depending on your operating
system:
LINUX: If you are getting Socket type not supported, try modprobe
af_packet or recompile your kernel with SOCK_PACKET enabled.
*BSD:  If you are getting device not configured, you need to recompile
your kernel with Berkeley Packet Filter support.  If you are getting No
such file or directory, try creating the device (eg cd /dev; MAKEDEV
<device>; or use mknod).
SOLARIS:  If you are trying to scan localhost and getting '/dev/lo0: No
such file or directory', complain to Sun.  I don't think Solaris can
support advanced localhost scans.  You can probably use "-P0 -sT
localhost" though.

QUITTING!