Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: 2 ideas for NMAP, 1 open question

From: "Andy Lutomirski" <Luto () myrealbox com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 08:55:13 -0700

[lots of headers and text snipped]

Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 00:12:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: Lamont Granquist <lamont () scriptkiddie org>
To: <nmap-hackers () insecure org>
Subject: 2 ideas for NMAP, 1 open question

ARP scan.

I've noticed that this is what happens anyways when you do a TCP or ICMP
scan on your local network (just think about it for a second).  You could
just cut to the chase and do this directly.  Ideally do it massively
parallel as well, so that you can do a fast local network discovery.
Really NMAP should know what networks are on your local interfaces and you
should be able to specify just with a couple switches that you want to do
a complete local network discovery.

For a working partial implementation of ARP scan, look no farther than the
nmap source in mswin32/winip/pcapsend.c.  I needed to resolve ARP on my own
to get it working over winpcap, so I wrote an ARP cache/send layer.  The
only problems are that it is Windows-specific (easily fixed as long as there
is a portable way to _write_ link-layer packets), that its data structures
are not terribly effective for massive ARP scan (also easily fixed,
especially if we can use STL ;), and that it depends on an OS-specific way
to query the ARP cache.  I dunno if *NIX has this, but at the very least it
should be doable with an SNMP-like mechanism (that's how, IIRC, I did it for
win95).  Unfortunately, the presence of this code does not mean that nmap
can currently ARP-scan on Windows :(  It may prove a useful reference,
though.