Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: WinIP DLL

From: "Andy Lutomirski" <AMLuto () hotmail com>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 08:22:52 -0700

It's in (slow) progress.  I'm calling it libraw
(www.sourceforge.net/projects/libraw).  The goal is to be able to select an
adapter and a protocol (assuming that the protocol makes sense in the
context of an adapter -- opening an Ethernet card for PPP would not be
allowed :) and then the library will abstract the adapter for direct
read/write of that protocol.  This would allow emulation of libnet (by
selecting IP), emulation of libpcap (selecting the link-layer protocol) and
allow portable IP reads (like nmap does, but notice that the current Windows
code does not require nmap to be as aware of the link layer as unix, and I'd
like to eliminate all client awareness of link-layer type if possible).

I say it's in slow progress because I've been really busy lately.  Hopefully
I can get it out by the end of November.  The entire library will be LGPL
(but without the exception that the winip directory has in nmap).

Andy