Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Proposed patch for more efficient random host generation

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 23:40:26 -0700

On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 08:41:40AM -0700, Chad Loder wrote:

However, there are plenty more ranges which are either
non-routable, reserved, or black-holed by IANA, and I've
modified the code to filter all (or most) of these yucky

Wow!  Your patch covers about 1/4 of the non-multicast IPv4 space!  I
didn't know so much address space was unused, especially considering
how hard-nosed IANA/ARIN have been about allocating addresses.

Your patch looks good.  I have applied it for the next version of
Nmap.  A minor note is that 'diff -u -w' patches are much easier to
use since they provide context rather than relying on line numbers.
The line numbers may be wrong if any other changes have been made to
the file since the release you used to make the patch.

I also excluded the 55.0.0.0/8 range mentioned by HD.

If anyone knows of other large network ranges we can safely skip, or
if you think some IPs excluded by this patch have valid hosts on them,
please let us know.

Cheers,
Fyodor