nanog mailing list archives

Re: who runs the root, Cogent-TATA peering dispute?

From: "John R. Levine" <johnl () iecc com>
Date: 17 May 2024 21:53:18 -0400

On Fri, 17 May 2024, William Herrin wrote:
That said, ICANN generates the root zone including the servers
declared authoritative for the zone.

Nope.

So they do have an ability to
say: nope, you've crossed the line to any of the root operators.

Very very nope.

ICANN as the IANA Functions Operator maintains the database of TLD info. They provide this to Verisign, the Root Zone Maintainer, who create the root zone and distribute it to the root server operators. Verisign does this under a contract with NTIA, one of the few bits of the Internet that is still under a US government contract:

https://www.ntia.gov/page/verisign-cooperative-agreement

Should ICANN attempt to mess with the distribution of the root zone, let us just say that the results would not be pretty. There's a balance of terror here. ICANN carefully never does anything that would make the root server operators say no, and the root server operators carefully avoid putting ICANN in a position where they might have to do that.

I'm not guessing here, I go to ICANN meetings and talk to these people.

R's,
John