nanog mailing list archives

RE: Meta outage

From: Ray Van Dolson via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 20:44:48 +0000

On Tue, 05 Mar 2024 12:17 -0700, Michael Rathbun <mdr () tesp com> wrote:

What I found intriguing was that I was logged out by Google Docs at
the same moment FB logged me out.  Downdetector showed a number of
other supposedly unrelated services with large outage report spikes
at roughly the same time.

I was logged out of Honeywell's Total Connect Comfort site (remote
thermostat control) at the same time FB logged me out. I'm not using
OAUTH logins anywhere.

I had recently changed SSID and the thermostat wasn't accepting remote
commands. I thought maybe the SSID change had broken it and had just
deleted the device from the TCC site to try adding it back when I was
logged out.

It's funny timing because earlier today I was telling an employee how
we don't like to have our maintenance overlap with vendor's
maintenance/repair window because when something breaks while we are
making changes we can't always tell who is at fault.

Interesting.  I have a script that makes a call to TCC every so often to read
temperature data, and it failed from 8:50AM PST to 10:30AM PST.

Ray