nanog mailing list archives

Re: v4 and v6 BOGON list

From: Enno Rey via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 00:20:25 +0100

Hi Gabriel,

for v6 you may find the following helpful:

https://theinternetprotocolblog.wordpress.com/2020/01/15/some-notes-on-ipv6-bogon-filtering/

cheers

Enno

On Thu, Mar 21, 2024 at 07:20:53PM +0000, Gabriel Terry wrote:
All,

I was researching BOGON prefixes and found a reference from IANA listing special-purpose addresses, URLs listed
below. Based on my understanding of the list I think I should be able to block all of the entries from my upstream
peerings without affecting normal internet traffic. I assume that there would only be special scenarios that the
addresses listed in the special-purpose entry would be used. I am interested to hear what others are doing when it
comes to blocking BOGON NLRI from their upstream BGP peerings. If anyone has any insight into this please let me know
your thoughts, I would love to discuss more on the topic.

URLs:
https://www.iana.org/assignments/iana-ipv4-special-registry/iana-ipv4-special-registry.xhtml
https://www.iana.org/assignments/iana-ipv6-special-registry/iana-ipv6-special-registry.xhtml

Thanks,