nanog mailing list archives

v4 and v6 BOGON list

From: Gabriel Terry <gterry () acentek net>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 19:20:53 +0000

All,

I was researching BOGON prefixes and found a reference from IANA listing special-purpose addresses, URLs listed below.
Based on my understanding of the list I think I should be able to block all of the entries from my upstream peerings
without affecting normal internet traffic. I assume that there would only be special scenarios that the addresses
listed in the special-purpose entry would be used. I am interested to hear what others are doing when it comes to
blocking BOGON NLRI from their upstream BGP peerings. If anyone has any insight into this please let me know your
thoughts, I would love to discuss more on the topic.

URLs:
https://www.iana.org/assignments/iana-ipv4-special-registry/iana-ipv4-special-registry.xhtml
https://www.iana.org/assignments/iana-ipv6-special-registry/iana-ipv6-special-registry.xhtml

Thanks,