nanog mailing list archives

Re: Networks ignoring prepends?

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 04:25:44 +0000 (UTC)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Lewis" <jlewis () lewis org>

On Mon, 22 Jan 2024, William Herrin wrote:
It gives me, your paying customer, less control over my routing
through your network than if I wasn't your paying customer. That
seems... backwards.

Not at all.  Think like a service provider.

"I've got packets to deliver.  I've got 3 different classes of paths I can
use.  One of them, I get paid to use.  One is cost neutral.  The last one,
I pay to use."

Which path would you pick (assuming you're trying to maximize revenue
from your network)?

And here, you nail it, Jon:

The Internet stopped being an engineering construct many years ago, to its--and
our--detriment; things work much more poorly, and harder to understand and
diagnose and fix, because of this.

His example, of packets going from Miami to Ft Lauderdale via One Wilshire,
is a classic example.

Cheers,
-- jra

--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com