nanog mailing list archives

Re: Networks ignoring prepends?

From: Niels Bakker <niels=nanog () bakker net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 15:21:06 +0100

* bill () herrin us (William Herrin) [Mon 22 Jan 2024, 15:05 CET]:
On Mon, Jan 22, 2024 at 5:24 AM Patrick W. Gilmore <patrick () ianai net> wrote:
Standard practice is to localpref your customers up, which makes prepends irrelevant. Why would anyone expect different behavior?

It gives me, your paying customer, less control over my routing through your network than if I wasn't your paying customer. That seems... backwards.

Most sellers of IP transit offer a "treat as peer" BGP community which will flatten your localpref to that of peers rather than a customer.

        -- Niels.