nanog mailing list archives

Re: "Hypothetical" Datacenter Overheating

From: Glenn McGurrin via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 22:49:08 -0500

I'm actually referring to something like, I've not yet had a system where they have made sense, I mostly deal with either places where I have no say in the hvac or very small server rooms, but I've thought these were an interesting concept since I first saw them years ago.

https://www.chiltrix.com/server-room-chiller.html

quoting from the page:

The Chiltrix SE Server Room Edition adds a "free cooling" option to CX34.

Server rooms need cooling all year, even when it is cold outside. If you operate in a northern area with cold winters, this option is for you.

When outdoor temperatures drop below 38F, the CX34 glycol-water loop is automatically extended through a special water-to-air heat exchanger to harvest outdoor cold ambient conditions to pre-cool the glycol-water loop so that the CX34 variable speed compressor can drop to a very slow speed and consume less power. This can save about 50% off of it's already low power consumption without lowering capacity.

At and below 28F, the CX34 chiller with Free Cooling SE add-on will turn off the compressor entirely and still be able to maintain its rated cooling capacity using only the variable speed pump and fan motors. At this point, the CX34 achieves a COP of of >41 and EER of >141.

Enjoy the savings of 2 tons of cooling for less than 75 watts. The colder it gets, the less water flow rate is needed, allowing the VSD pump power draw to drop under 20 watts.

Depending on location, for some customers free cooling mode can be active up to 3 months per year during the daytime and up to 5 months per year at night.