nanog mailing list archives

Re: "Hypothetical" Datacenter Overheating

From: Lamar Owen <lowen () pari edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 12:03:07 -0500

On 1/15/24 10:14, sronan () ronan-online com wrote:
I’m more interested in how you lose six chillers all at once.

According to a post on a support forum for one of the clients in that space: "We understand the issue is due to snow on the roof affecting the cooling equipment."

Never overlook the simplest single points of failure.  Snow on cooling tower fan blades....failed fan motors are possible or even likely at that point.  Assuming the airflow won't be clogged; conceptually much like the issue in having multiple providers for redundancy but they're all in the same cable or conduit.