nanog mailing list archives

Re: Opengear alternatives that support 5g?

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 13:31:44 -0400

If someone wants to assemble some of the freetserv boxes, I have some of the PCBs and components here if you want them.

- Jared

On Apr 26, 2024, at 1:27 PM, Andrew Latham <lathama () gmail com> wrote:

If anyone is interested in https://freetserv.github.io/ but does not want to build one I have sort of documented an
alternative at https://lathama.net/Tech/Hardware/USB-32COM-RM so you can use anything to connect the 5G or dialup to

On Fri, Apr 26, 2024 at 11:21 AM Michel Blais <Michel () targointernet com> wrote:
Doesn't meet #3 but I'm testing Banana Pi BPI-R3 and seems way better than RPI for this purpose.

You need to add the mini-pci modem of your choice but their 2 SIM card slots on board. There are also 5 RJ45 ports if
your devices have OOB ethernet ports.

There are 2 onboard storage (NOR and NAND) and you can add a M2 SSD so it is possible to have failover disks.

I also like the fact that there are 2 SFP ports. There are some places in our area where the LTE / 5G network is
really awful so we can use a fiber wavelength instead. It depends on the same fiber but at least, doesn't depend on
any active devices on site.

The bad is that you still need a USB to serial ports adapter. Also, you can customise OpenWRT as much as you like.

For me, it's an advantage but in your case, it seems like an issue. For the OP, having several VPN options like
zerotier seems like an advantage.