nanog mailing list archives

Re: Help with removing DNS shinkhole FP from Charter/Spectrum

From: "John R. Levine" <johnl () iecc com>
Date: 22 Apr 2024 21:19:44 -0400

Bill is absolutely correct. The spammers lost their case because they were demonstrably spammers.

No, really they did not. I read the decisions. Have you? Hint: under CAN SPAM a great deal of spam is completely legal so it didn't matter.

We’ve had accidental black hole cases with *US* providers that removed the block once they received a C&D. If they don’t have iron clad proof in hand. (More than just a few complaints and no traffic analysis), it’s just the least risky response.

I will believe that there are people that cave in response to threats like this, but again, there is no case law to support it.

R's,
John