nanog mailing list archives

Re: maximum ipv4 bgp prefix length of /24 ?

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 15:20:38 -0700

On Fri, Sep 29, 2023 at 3:03 PM Tom Beecher <beecher () beecher cc> wrote:
General Purpose CPU : Can run Doom.
Trio ASIC : Cannot run Doom.

Cute. False. But cute. At the risk of pedantry, the ATMega chip in the
Arduino can't run Doom either, nor does it have any DRAM, only SRAM
and flash ram. Nevertheless, it implements all the functionality
necessary to be a general purpose CPU.

Still, I thank you for the pointers. I know more about Juniper's
architecture now than I did a few hours ago. Based on what I've
learned I'd characterize it as sharing more in common with a GPU than
a general purpose CPU. Architecturally I mean. Obviously it's
optimized for a different task than a GPU.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin