nanog mailing list archives

Re: Test Lab Best Practices

From: Mel Beckman <mel () beckman org>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 15:43:24 +0000

In any lab,I find concurrent access to serial ports is still an essential diagnostic tool. In a pinch you can get a
used Cisco 2811 for $100, but there are multiport devices from lots of vendors. These let you SSH into the server and
then connect to any serial port, giving you separate serial port windows all on the same screen. I’ve become fond of
the WiFi-capable multiport modules from get-console.com. The ability to record logs from these serial ports in
real-time helps a lot for documenting regression tests.

 -mel beckman