nanog mailing list archives

Re: what is acceptible jitter for voip and videoconferencing?

From: Jay Hennigan <jay () west net>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 09:42:48 -0700

On 9/21/23 17:04, Michael Thomas wrote:

When I wrote my first implementation of telnet ages ago, i was both amused and annoyed about the go-ahead option. Obviously patterned after audio meat-space protocols, but I was never convinced it wasn't a solution in search of a problem. I wonder if CDMA was really an outgrowth of those protocols?

Typically seen with half-duplex implementations, like "Over" in two-way radio. Still used in TTY/TDD as "GA".

But it's my impression that gaming is by far more affected by latency and thus jitter buffers for voice. Don't some ISP's even cater to gamers about latency?

Yep. Dilithium crystal futures are up due to gaming industry demand. ;-)

--
Jay Hennigan - jay () west net
Network Engineering - CCIE #7880