nanog mailing list archives

Re: TACACS+ server recommendations?

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 12:23:47 -0400

On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 5:40 AM Simon Leinen <simon.leinen () switch ch> wrote:

Christopher Morrow writes:
On Wed, Sep 20, 2023 at 1:22 PM Jim <mysidia () gmail com> wrote:

Router operating systems still typically use only passwords with
SSH, then those devices send the passwords over that insecure channel.  I have yet to
see much in terms of routers capable to Tacacs+ Authorize  users based on  users'
openSSH certificate, Public key id,  or  ed2559-sk security key id, etc.

There is active work with vendors (3 or 4 of the folk you may even
use?) to support
ssh with ssh-certificates, I believe this mostly works today, though
configuring it and
distributing your ssh-ca-cert may be fun...

Ahem... Cisco supports SSH authentication using *X.509* certificates.

correct, we pointed this out a few times and ... they now also support
ssh-certs.
They also support HIBA extensions (https://github.com/google/hiba) and the
stock hiba-chk which means you could potentially mint a certificate for your
ops user that says: "Simon is authorized to login to DEVICEX only"
(and or others, or not have this check... this is optional, but handy for me)

Unfortunately this is not compatible with OpenSSH (the dominant SSH
client implementation we use), which only supports *OpenSSH*
certificates.

yup, that's what we pointed out to them.. I think their answer was
something like:
  "mumble, we implemented this for a single requesting organization...
we THINK they use it?"

unsure hwo they use it, but.. ok, sure.
now there's openssh cert capability though.
(I admit I can't make search on cisco's site work for me to find what
version introduced this though, sorry)

Not sure about other vendors, but when we found this out we decided that
this wasn't a workable solution for us.

it sure wasn't for a long time :(
3 of 4 vendors we deal with support openssh-certificates and hiba...
almost all to the point were
we could actually use it, which is nice. we have some  pains on our
side, they on theirs, but it's
getting almost deployable.