nanog mailing list archives

Re: Pulling of Network Maps

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 10:33:25 -0700

On Thu, Oct 26, 2023 at 10:01 AM Tom Beecher <beecher () beecher cc> wrote:
My experience with maps over the last decade tells me that even most vendors don't actually know where they are. :)

So true. And not that young a problem. I leased some dark fiber more
than a decade ago. They sent an unexpectedly expensive build proposal
to connect my building. I asked: "Why are you trenching to the manhole
down the street instead of the one right outside?" They asked, "what
manhole?" Long story short, they dispatched a guy who popped the
cover, pumped the water out of the vault and confirmed that they had a
location they didn't know about.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--