nanog mailing list archives

Re: cogent spamming directly from ARIN records?

From: Mel Beckman <mel () beckman org>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 16:12:33 +0000

John,

Thank you for your guidance!

 -mel

On Oct 2, 2023, at 8:33 AM, John Sweeting <jsweeting () arin net> wrote:

Mel, I will reply to you off list. Thanks.

On 10/2/23, 11:28 AM, "NANOG on behalf of Mel Beckman" <nanog-bounces+jsweeting=arin.net () nanog org
<mailto:arin.net () nanog org> on behalf of mel () beckman org <mailto:mel () beckman org>> wrote:

This morning I received an email from someone at Cogent asking about an ASN I administer. They didn’t give any
details, but I assumed it might be related to some kind of network transport issue. I replied cordially, asking them
what they needed. The person then replied with a blatant spam, advertising Cogent IP services, in violation of the
U.S. CAN-SPAM Act’s prohibition against deceptive UCE.

I believe they got the contact information from ARIN, because the ARIN technical POC is the only place where my name
and the ASN are connected. I believe this is a violation of Cogent’s contract with ARIN. Does anybody know how I can
effectively report this to ARIN? If we can’t even police infrastructure providers for spamming, LIOAWKI.

-mel beckman