nanog mailing list archives

Re: Outside plant - prewire customer demarc preference

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 18:39:39 +0000 (UTC)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sean Donelan" <sean () donelan com>

Around here, the local carrier seems to have stopped FTTH deployment.
Instead, the carrier is convincing home builders not to spend money on
demarc pre-wire.  Wireless Home 5G service is all customers' need.

Of course, the lack of demarc planning makes things more expensive for
any post-construction competitor.  And don't get me started about the lack
of information of what's available in the utility easments. The builders
don't know, and the service providers won't say. The FCC broadband maps
are a lot of hand-waving by service providers.

Well, that's not going to end well.

Sadly, the circumstance in which we'll find out will be if SHTF, and after
that failure, it won't matter much.

Cheers,
-- jra

--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com