nanog mailing list archives

Re: Routed optical networks

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 06:29:53 +0200

On 5/2/23 16:01, Eve Griliches wrote:

Hi Etienne,
Below is our (Cisco) definition of the Routed Optical Network. The goal, metro or long haul or subsea, is to reduce the number of control planes. By migration TDM traffic using CEM or PLE to the IP layer, you eliminate the OTN control plane and management. Eventually, when standards are settled the ultimate goal is to have a single control plane for the network. I'm not trying to be a commercial here, but you can read more in the resources section on this page: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/service-provider/routed-optical-networking/index.html
HTH,
Eve

Routed optical networking, is an architecture that delivers improved operational efficiencies and simplicity. The solution works by merging IP and private line services onto a single layer where all the switching is done at Layer 3. Routers are connected with standardized 400G ZR/ZR+ coherent pluggable optics.

With a single service layer based upon IP, flexible management tools can leverage telemetry and model-driven programmability to streamline lifecycle operations. This simplified architecture integrates open data models and standard APIs, enabling a provider to focus on automation initiatives for a simpler topology.

To be honest, I've been hearing about this since as long as I can remember. IPoDWDM was another attempt at trying to make the above a reality.

But for some reason, operators prefer to keep these networks separate, and many customers, especially very large ones, prefer to bypass routers for their Transport services.

I think the effort will be appreciated, but if history is anything to go by, vendors are going to struggle to strip operators and customers away from some degree of separation.

Mark.