nanog mailing list archives

Re: Northern Virginia has had enough with data centers

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 17:45:24 -0400

On Fri, Jun 23, 2023 at 5:36 PM Delong.com <owen () delong com> wrote:

On Jun 23, 2023, at 12:19, Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com> wrote:

On Fri, Jun 23, 2023 at 9:16 AM Mike Hammett <nanog () ics-il net> wrote:

I view throwing everything into NOVA as being lazy. Throwing so many at one place isn't good for resiliency.

there's nyc and chicago and california :) (and dallas)
but.. :)

The discussions in local news (in nova) seem to center around:
 "but the noise!"

This is relatively silly unless the local grid is extraordinarily unreliable. Unless the generators are running,
you can rarely hear a datacenter beyond the bounds of its parking lot.

yes.

 "but the beautiful scenery!"

This one might be somewhat valid if it wasn’t likely to become some other form of warehouse anyway.

it's their 'heritage' that they are worried about.

 "but the water poisoning!!"

??? I find it hard to believe that data centers are big emitters of water pollution. Someone’s going to have
to explain this one to me.

there's plenty of, already available, discussion about how this is
just a trope being used instead of 'but our heritage'.
yea, it's just not at all an actual problem.

there were, apparently, some actual problems with how
prince-william-county did their re-zoning work...
like, I think, one of the administration folks 'had a ton of money
tied up in DC company stock...' (that person may have recused
themselves, but)

If you peel back the layers a bunch of it actually looks pretty
horrible for the people protesting:
 "NIMBY problems"
 "Our 'heritage'"

i'm sure it'll work out in the end, but ... gonna be fun to watch.

I’ll bring marshmallows, who wants to bring the chocolate and the graham crackers to this dumpster fire?

I have 1 lawn chair, you'll need to bring your own.

Owen