nanog mailing list archives

Re: FCC Chair Rosenworcel Proposes to Investigate Impact of Data Caps

From: Owen DeLong via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 20:27:40 -0700

On Jun 16, 2023, at 13:16, Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com> wrote:

On 6/16/23 1:09 PM, Mark Tinka wrote:

On 6/16/23 21:19, Josh Luthman wrote:
Mark,

In my world I constantly see people with 0 fixed internet options.  Many of these locations do not even have mobile
coverage.  Competition is fine in town, but for millions of people in the US (and I'm going to assume it's worse or
comparable in CA/MX) there is no service.

As a company primarily delivering to residents, competition is not a focus for us and for the urban market it's
tough to survive on a ~1/3 take rate.

I should have been clearer... the lack of competition in many markets is not unique to North America. I'd say all of
the world suffers that, since there is only so much money and resources to go around.

What I was trying to say is that should a town or village have the opportunity to receive competition, where
existing services are capped, uncapping that via an alternative provider would be low hanging fruit to gain local
marketshare. Of course, the alternative provider would need to show up first, but that's a whole other thread.

Won't Starlink and other LEO configurations be that backstop sooner rather than later? I don't know if they have caps
as well, but even if they do they could compete with their caps.

Mike

Maybe, but ta the rate their prices have been going up and their reviews have been going down, it’s not at all
promising. I’m in a wait and see mode with Starling. Every time I get just about frustrated enough with Comcast to
shell out, I discover that Starling’s pricing has again moved above my threshold of frustration.

Owen