nanog mailing list archives

RE: Smaller than a /24 for BGP?

From: Robert McKay <robert () mckay com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 02:55:44 +0000

On 2023-01-25 00:10, Chris J. Ruschmann wrote:
How do you plan on getting rid of all the filters that don’t accept
anything less than a /24?

In all seriousness If I have these, I’d imagine everyone else does
too.

Allow someone to advertise a covering /24 (and route onward to the longer prefixes) in exchange for being able to 'research' the traffic?

You do want a cover advertisement, but it will hardly ever be used by anyone. It attracts traffic, but before that traffic gets anywhere near the origin it hits the more specific longer prefixes and goes straight there.. probably via your immediate upstream, which it would have anyway.

There are large sections of space that have historically always had cover advertisements - 38.0.0.0/8 for instance. If cogent started accepting /29's in there they'd work perfectly courtesy of 38/8 - with nobody else making any other changes to anything.

Probably before long the other transit ISPs would start accepting the longer prefixes too and you'd have fairly functional multi-homing. The long tail of other ISPs doesn't even matter since they inevitably hand the traffic over to someone who will know what to do with it.

-Rob