nanog mailing list archives

Re: Typical last mile battery runtime (protecting against power cuts)

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2023 06:51:26 +0200

On 2/3/23 19:53, Saku Ytti wrote:

In practice I would default to expecting 0 min availability during
power outage, regardless of how resilient my CPE is. We can scarcely
make the Internet work at the best of times.

Agreed, this is a good place to start. It's a bit doom & gloom, but most people underestimate just how much work it takes power companies to generate and distribute energy. Consequently, they never have to think about generation and/or load management, if they had to do it on their own, meaning they will usually consider the cheapest solution possible, which for electricity, usually ends in tears.

Mark.