nanog mailing list archives

Re: Typical last mile battery runtime (protecting against power cuts)

From: Sabri Berisha <sabri () cluecentral net>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 11:11:03 -0800 (PST)

----- On Feb 3, 2023, at 6:11 AM, Israel G. Lugo israel.lugo () lugosys com wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking at the cost/benefit of deploying small UPSes at people's
homes, to protect their network access when oncall. Just to power the
home router (+ONT if FTTP), and keep a charged laptop. I figure anything
smallish should be enough for a few hours.

Living in an area served by PG&E, I've had my share of power cuts. At home
I have a 600va UPS that protects my cable modem, RPI router, and POE switch
which serves 2 APs. That lasts about 30 minutes, which gives me enough time
to fire up my generator.

Tip of the day: I also have a 1000va UPS that protects my garage door opener.
This makes it a lot easier to a. get a car out if needed, and b. get my
generator out of the garage.

Lastly, in the spirit of happy wife, happy life, I have another 600va UPS
that covers my tankless water heater. It heats using natural gas, but the
control panel still needs power. That thing lasts pretty long.

Question is, how much battery runtime can I typically expect from ISPs'
last mile infra.

YMMV, of course, but I went through numerous outages recently. And by
numerous, I mean enough for our City leadership to get pissed off at PG&E
and demand explanations.

So far, my current ISP (Spectrum cable) has had 0 outages as a result of
power loss. Which is pretty impressive, given the instability of the grid
in this area.

Thanks,

Sabri