nanog mailing list archives

Re: Outside plant - prewire customer demarc preference

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 22:45:38 -0500 (EST)

You've misunderstood the goal.

The intent is not to protect the fiber, but to make it easier for the field tech installing new service in a neat way through finished construction and concealled raceways, without cutting sheetrock or stapling exposed cabling across walls.

Trying to prevent the next "bad fiber install" set of pictures.

U.S. NEC does not require any mechanical protection for fiber cables. You can run "bare" fiber cables through most residential spaces (with a few exceptions for jacket material, i.e. direct burial cable not allowed inside habital spaces). Building codes may vary in other countries.

On the other hand, do some searches for "bad fiber install" for many examples of fiber installers stapling fiber around the outside of houses or zip-tied to gas pipes.